Two baby quilts from Xande for extra special little girls.

I am so lucky to have recently welcomed "Juniper Lee" my first great-niece into our family.  As an "honorary Auntie", Xande graciously made this AMAZING quilt for her.  All paper pieced which blows my mind, but also designed by Xande!! 

Since we jokingly refer to our group of biking friends as "the flock" for our tendency to wear flamingo tights, this little girl has flamingos in her dress.  Her mother, Katie's favorite color is purple, and she loves fairies, so the background took care of that design.  (And they glow in the dark!)  Simply stunning!  Quilted with a free hand edge to edge design of mostly feathers (for the flock), but also swirls in her hair since we all have such curly hair.


Then Xande's daughter Fiona announced that she was going to have a baby too!  "Grandma Xande" dove into action to make this one that represents to many favorite childhood books of Fiona's.  While I've never met her in person, I know that the girl in the quilt represents Fiona as a child, engrossed in a book while all of the characters swirl above her head.  Again, all paper pieced and designed by Xande.  I quilted primarily a swirling leaf design to represent the trees that result in paper for books.
Max, from "Where the Wild Things Are"
Paddington Bear, complete with suitcase and tag that reads "Please take care of this bear."
Dr. Seuss and his "Sam I am" from "Greens Eggs and Ham".  The green bits in the quilt are the eggs and ham.  

Cheshire Cat from "Alice In Wonderland"
Clearly a dragon, but I'm not sure what book it represents.  I'm guessing Lord of the Rings and those are the other characters from the Tolkein series. (I have to point out, even though you can't see it, I quilted flames coming from the dragon's mouth)
 
And "Calvin and Hobbs" my personal favorite!

No comments: