Judy Neimeyer quilt by Gina for her 15yo son









Oh my, this is amazing!!  I have long admired Judy Niemeyer quilt, but I also know that my dislike of paper piecing will get in the way of my completing one.  Lucky me!  Gina a brand new to me customer, brought me this amazing quilt top.  She said that she had completed it some time ago, and it was time to get it quilted.  She made the top for her 15 yo son, but that's all that I know about  the pattern.  Gina chose threads to match the fabric colors, and then turned me loose on quilting it.  My only directions state Beth to play, rulers and such.
Here's what I did.  Rulers in the "star points", the lighter red in the top photo.  This is the back of the quilt which is actually a lovely navy blue, but trying to get decent pictures of the quilt and quilting was impossible with threads that match.  There rest are freehand designs, trying to find lots of "pointy" designs.  Didn't think a 15 yo boy would like feathers and things.  Wool batting, so extra warm, and gives lots of texture to the quilting.  There's a LOT of thread in there.  A total of 27 bobbins.  (The average quilt will take 6-10 bobbins, depending on the size of the quilt, and the density of the quilting.)

I also really appreciate Gina's patience.  She dropped this off 2 months before I got it finished.  Between suddenly selling my former machine, and then waiting for the new one to arrive and be set up, and wanting to do a couple of other quilts to get used to this machine, and the holidays, and..... it took some time. I just hope that they both love it as much as I did working on it!














 

No comments: