Big girl bed quit for Dylan

Jessie contacted me via e-mail to inquire about making a quilt for her not yet born baby girl. It seems that she had one a of a similar design when she was little, and wants to continue the tradition.  When Jessie first told me her timeline, I told her that it couldn't be done before the baby's arrival.  Then she sent me a drawing of how simple the design, and I changed my mind.  This we could get done.
Jessie and her husband chose the fabrics, and with a basic design of rectangles and sashing, off I went to make this quilt.

Once the top was done, I contacted her again about bringing me backing and binding fabrics, and then choosing a quilting design and thread.  I had suggested an edge to edge design to compliment the simplicity of the piecing, and she chose the "Double Plume" panto.  Glide thread, pale yellow to match the walls of the nursery.

The quilt is actually extra long twin sized, so it will be some time before the baby is ready to have it on her big girl bed, but it can get lots of use cuddling on the couch, going to the park, play time on the floor before she's ready to have it on her bed.
For the backing, Jessie chose the white print from the front, and then an accent fabric from the same line for the binding.  Quilted with cotton batting, so very traditional, and ready for lots of use and love.

Congratulations to the new parents on their growing family.


No comments: