Hand pieced on a fabric foundation Tumbling Blocks

I would love to know the history of this quilt.  I think that Marlene may have gotten it from a thrift store, but I'm not positive.  All of the fabrics in the top are wool, and then it was hand pieced onto a fabric foundation.  There are even several "make do" blocks, the ones where you piece smaller pieces together to get enough large enough for your patch


Marlene didn't specify how to quilt this, essentially she told me to "Let my creative juices flow."  I went with piano keys in the border to keep things straight, feathers in the red border, and then continuous curves in the blocks.  They were a bit wonky, and thick seams at times, so this worked well to nail everything down.  As in the photo below, some of the pieces had seen better days, but I hope that this will give the quilt new life.







 

No comments: