String Theory

 Ah, strings.  Those pieces of fabric that are too small to save in your stash, but too big to throw away, so what do you do with them?  I guess that you save them in a bin in the basement for a long time, and then you get inspired.  I started this quilt as a "Beginner and Ender", meaning that before starting or stopping at each seam of a quilt, I would instead start with 2 strings, and end with two strings.  That way I don't have long thread tails when I begin or end my stitching.  It's a quilter thing. 

I started making these blocks, then squared them up to 6.5" each.  That was fun, so then I started to lay them out on my design wall, otherwise known as our guest room bed.  Hmm.  By turning them, you get a fun diamond pattern that just never ends.  Since they are all so random, you'll never be able to get all the different colors evenly spaced, so just put them where they end up.  This quilt ended up being a twin size, and was given to the Portland Police Sunshine Division.  If you look closely, you can even see that I used leftover fabric that had already been pressed together for the binding. All those little bits of fabric, and not even a dent in that bin of strings.  I've already started the next one, and the one after that too.


No comments: