Sunbonnet Sue by Janet's Grandmother

I received an email from Janet of NE Portland asking if I accepted donations.  Clearly, the answer is of course "Yes!"  I never actually got to meet her, she left a large bag on her porch, and I picked it up from there.  After going through the bag,  I had to ask "Are you sure?"  Included in the bag, amongst the fabric scraps, were parts of a cathedral window quilt, parts of a Dresden Plate, a probably silk crazy quilt with hand embroidery and this completed Sunbonnet Sue quilt top.  I have no clue as to how to finish a Cathedral Window, so I posted it on a blog, and it went to it's new home in Missouri.  The Dresden Plate blocks continue to wait their turn, but Sunbonnet Sue has been quilted and bound and is ready to go to a home.  As soon as I find a home for her.

 

This is what Janet sent to me about her grandmother, who pieced the quilts.
My granny's name was Allene Hornaday Hamilton, and she spent most of her life in Durham, NC. She died quite a long time ago. My father is the oldest of 5 boys,(and the only one still alive at 83)  and I was the first grandchild, welcomed by an adoring Granny who always wanted a girl. She loved to sew for her daughters in law and grandchildren and much of that material is from dresses, skirts, shirts, etc that she made for us. I think there were times when she also took in work for others. My parents left NC right after college and settled in northern CA where I grew up. We didn't travel to NC very often, but had the amazing good fortune of having my Granny come and live and travel with us for extended times (one or two months at a time). She was also an amazing cook, and in general, one of the kindest, most selfless, loving people on this earth. 

My memory may not be all that accurate, but I believe my Granny was working on this quilt when she died, and, since it's in my possession now, I think it was intended for my mom who first took the materials with the intention of finishing it. My mom was not a seamstress or quilter, so it never got finished. My mom died 26 years ago, and I've had the materials ever since. 

So, probably more family history than you need to know. I hope you can experience the great love those pieces of material exemplify, and will be more than happy to just have some pictures. 


No comments: