2 Memory quilts for Carrie's family

Carrie, and her darling daughter Karen, had reached out to me about making 6 quilts for their family members.  Carrie is a long time seamstress who is moving to a smaller home, and just doesn't have room for all of her sewing anymore.  The two of them brought me 2 large totes of fabrics, one with just wovens and the other flannels.  All of these had been used to make various garments for family members throughout the years.  I decided to just take the woven fabrics for the tops, and then saved the flannels for the backings.  
Before we met, we had discussed a basic pattern and approximate size for the quilts.  Here are the first 2.  All made from 4" unfinished squares of fabric, then chosen at random.  My only "rule" was that I wouldn't piece 2 of the same fabrics next to one another in a row.  Sometimes the rows ended up with the same fabrics together.  You can see so many memories in these two.  Holiday fabrics, garment linings, potentially some home dec fabrics.

This one has a border of soccer fabric, and then I found the same fabric in flannel for the backing.  All will be bound with the same green Christmas print to keep them consistent.  I'm having so much fun working on these!  All are quilted with the Highfield design and thin white thread.



 

No comments: