"T shirt quilt for Judd, made by Mom"

This quilt clearly has a story, and I only know a portion of it.  Paige contacted me about quilting a 2 sided t-shirt quilt in April 2023, and sent me photos.  Just by seeing the backing I could tell that this was not something I was willing to take on and offered other places to check with.  Sadly, no one was willing to take on the 2 sided t-shirts, so Paige reached out again to ask about completing the shirt with a traditional fabric backing, and that I was willing to take on.
The following show portions of the quilt while it was loaded on my machine as I had told Paige I'd send her some.  Usually, when making a t-shirt quilt, you fuse them shirts with interfacing to make them stable, and then stitch them like traditional quilt blocks.  Judd's mom seems to have started by cutting parts of the shirts and then hand appliqueing them to pieces of batik fabrics.  In addition, there were numerous souvenir patches from travels.  These are very thick. to thick for my machine to go over, so I just had to avoid those parts of the quilt. 
  The finished "blocks" were then appliqued to a piece of muslin, and batik fabrics were added as borders.


Since the shirts weren't interfaced, there was a lot of "wiggle room" in the shirts, and a few folds and wrinkles had to be incorporated, or flat out left in the final quilt.
It seems that someone spilled their drink when they were piecing.  There's a large brown stain on the muslin underlay.

You can see above that many of the fabrics were left intake, not trimmed to size.  Oh well!
There was interfacing, but I'm not sure it was fused to the shirts, or if it is a sew in interfacing.




 Some how, this phrase reminds me so much of my brothers and our friends from college

No comments: