"Lanterns" by me

 This one has been in the works for a long time.  Way, way back when I was in high school, I met my dear friend Ursi when she was an exchange student from Austria.  We've kept in touch through the years, and when her daughter Magdi was married this pas summer, I knew I had to make a quilt to celebrate that event.  Fast forward months, and I finally find the right pattern.  Then more months go by before knuckling down and just making the darn thing!  I cheated, grabbed a jelly roll off the shelf that has been staring at me for at least 10 years.  Stitched and done, and mailed to Europe.  Funny story.  When someone was in Europe traveling, they didn't get any letters from home and were feeling rather left out.  Finally, a letter from home.  (This is a long time ago, before email!).  Turns out that the post office had mailed the letter to Australia, where they have Kangaroos and Wallabies.  From then on, when addressing a letter or package to Ursi or her family we always write "Europe" at the end to be sure that it goes to the correct continent.
This was fun to quilt.  Just tight rows of stitching to give the effect of folded paper.  Like the Chinese paper lanterns that you'd hang outdoors.  Then leaves and vines in the background to remind them of their well loved garden.

No comments: