"Cop Jelly Roll" by me.

I love a quilt that is totally made from leftovers!  Not only did I get to clean something out of my sewing room, but it makes me think of the original quilt.  This one started as a jelly roll quilt called "Lanterns" for the daughter of my friend Ursi in Austria.  That's the original quilt below.  After piecing the quilt top, I had a few strips leftover, so what am I going to do with these?  Put them aside for a while and let them age like wine.  Then a snow day!  Grab that bin and just start sewing them together in a long strip.  Cut them to a consistent length, and now sew them together on their long sides.  Once that's all together, oh drat! Short a 4" piece.  (See the top left corner and the dark purple).  Once the top is assembled, dig in the stash for a border.  I wanted something softer, but didn't have enough of anything else.  Okay, I still like the red with it.


Here's the backing.  Again, dig through the stash to find as many blue pieces as you need and then serge them together until it's big enough to work as a backing.  Batting. Hmm.  Let's grab this scrap and this scrap and so on, until it's all pieced together and quilted inside.
I was going to use a different design for quilting, but Hydrangea was still on my machine after working on Michael's, and I really liked it for this quilt.  Something soft, but lots of quilting to hold my seamed batting together.

No comments: