Photo dump of donation quilts from me

I have had a pile of donation quilts piling up, and it was time to just get them completed.  (There's still more to do, but this was a start).  Also gave me an opportunity to decrease my stash of batting and binding leftovers.  All were made with franken-batting where you take pieces of leftover batts from other projects and put them into the same quilt.  They are all made with a consistent type of batting in each quilt, but I used up whatever was there.

Many of the quilts are also made from scraps of fabrics.  This "Black and White string quilt" is from my time pulling all of my string pieces of fabric out of the bins and sewing them into rows.  These are then cut down to 6.5" because I have a square ruler that size.  This time, I focused on only the shades of grey blocks, but more are coming that need to be pieced with other colors.  Quilted with circles to counteract all of the straight lines in the quilt top.



From "Mystery Quilts Anonymous", here is a computed "Double Down."  Again with the scraps!  The blues are leftovers from 108" backing fabrics that have been in my stash, the occasionally pieced to the necessary size to cut them.  I actually bought the red bears with a plan to use it in a donation quilt, but I didn't read directions well, and didn't realize how much would be left over.  Look for more of this fabric in a future quilt!
Since the bears are wearing winter sweaters and hats, I opted for a "Christmas Star" design for quilting.  Seasonal, but not just for Christmas.

"Miscalculation #4"  These are all hand dyed fabric leftovers from a future donation quilt.  Just a little baby quilt that helped me to empty out a bin of fabric  Quilted with "Lotus Peel" design.


And finally "Scotty Dogs"  Found this in a magazine, and loved it.  They designer had made it with 2.5" squares, but I've got an overflowing shoebox of 2" squares, so opted to use those and an even more scrappy look.  This worked great until I got to the setting squares of 15 patch units. Since there is a strip of black at the top, bottom and sides of this to build the block to the same size as the dogs, my math was off (What a surprise).  Trimmed them to size on the sides and moved on. 


 This is quilted with a paper pantograph of Scotty dogs.  It was too perfect not to use for this quilt, but since it's done with black thread, it doesn't show in the photo.

No comments: