A t-shirt quilt for Erika

Erika brought me shirts from a friend to make a quilt out of earlier in the year, as well as one that she had started during the pandemic of her own shirts.  She got started, then I think got overwhelmed, and quit.  So, I picked it up in the middle of the project.  Some shirts were whole, some had been cut down, but not interface, others also interfaced with some type of interfacing that did not agree with my sewing machine, and even a few already stitched together.

I started by taking everything apart, added better interfacing to the ones that had some already, and tried to cut the remaining shirts to a consistent size.  However, since Erika had already cut a great many of them down, I felt like I was attempting to assemble a jigsaw puzzle without a photo to start with.

I ended up creating rows that were roughly the same width, then as needed adding khaki fabric as filler in between the rows to make the top as square as possible.  I also removed most of the paper from her remaining interfacing, but may have missed one or two.  So, the quilt has a bit of a crinkly sound to it.



 

No comments: