Iceland by me

Here is my Icelandic Mystery quilt top from Heart to Hand.  One of those quilt tops that have been patiently waiting their turn for quilting for quite literally years.  I hung it up seeking inspiration for how to quilt it, and decided that it was rather a "ho-hum" quilt to.  Hmm.  What can I do to make this more fun?
I pulled out some photos for inspriration, and my rulers and went to work.

Feathers in the blue border to fill the whole border, and piano keys in the larger outer border.  Hard to see, but they are there.


Here is the setting triangle on the outer edge.  Ruler work rules!  I added diagonal lines in the setting triangles, and some straight lines in the blocks with more diagonal lines.

Completed quilt top, but you can't really see the quilting.  After adding the blue binding and the pink thread in the blue border, I'm pleased with my blue border color choice.  Initially wondering what was I thinking when I put that border on.

Here are some shots of the back to show the quilting.  I really like how you can see the quilting on the back.


This is a much better example of the pink backing that I used, not the orangey color in the other photos.  Doesn't show the quilting quite as well though.


Continuous curves in the squares and more ruler work in the pieced rectangles.

Feathers around the green triangles.  The green fabric is an ombre, meaning that it changes color across the width of the fabric.  Light to increasingly dark.



Here are the threads that I used.  Glide "Pink" in the top, and Bottom Line white in the bottom.  Wool batting gave it a wonderful loft to really show the quilting too.  All in all, I'm quite pleased with how it turned a somewhat blah top into something really cool!





















































No comments: