"Urban Ecosystems" by Ann

Ann is the sister of my friend Xande.  She is an art teacher at West Sylvan school, and this quilt was created by 6-8th graders as a part of their curriculum.  This quilt now hangs in the display case at the school.
 All of the quilts are fusible applique, so lots of layers to quilt through.


 I'm not sure what the "rules" were for the project, but it's obvious that they were to create a scene of an urban ecosystem using fabric, and it seems that embroidery was also required as each block has a least a little bit of embroidery stitching.

All have the kid's names on the block, even though it may not show in the photo.  I did find this one, below, as I was quilting, and it made me smile.




 Each feather was cut out individually.
This is what Xande gave me for the backing.  Fits the theme, but gives me a bit of the willies.

No comments: